Monday 21 February 2011

Snail snacks and sexism

Back to blogging at last after being so sick they let me lie on the furniture....

Rather ironically, one of my favourite snacks to date has been bark, so you can imagine how delighted I was a couple of weeks ago, to stumble across a so far-undiscovered tree stump in the corner of the garden. After spending half an hour stripping the bark , I made a thrilling new culinary discovery - snails!

Apparently all of the snails in the garden had decided to over-winter in this precise spot. And how delicious they were. I knew I had to move fast and there were about twelve left when Weird found me in mid-scoff, but by then I had eaten quite a lot more than that, shells and all.

I won't go into detail, but the consequences, as you may have guessed, were dire.

Anyhow, I am now up and about again, and have even made my debut at the University animal behaviour class, where Beard behaved like embarrassing dad at parents' evening.

In all honesty, I was doing really well until they handed out sausages to all and sundry.  I simply did a quick circuit of the room, collecting everyone else's sausages... which I put down to showing initiative, but apparently no one else saw it quite that way.

Prior to that, while ill and  lounging on the furniture, I was eagerly anticipating  the appearance of HRH Camilla on the Archers.  Sadly this was not to be.  I had forgotten for a moment that I was living in a radical feminist Marxist household, and as the familiar theme tune began, the radio was snapped off with alarming vigour. 

Which leads me to an interesting incident.  I joined Weird and Skydiver Liz (who are rabid campaigners for equality- and  from my point of view would be more at home at Greenham Common than on the Cow Field) on a long walk yesterday.  After much heated debate, the conversation turned to the animal behaviour class.

Weird:  "It's amazing. The behaviourist says that after ten minutes of mental exercise, he will be as exhausted as if he'd been running for an hour".

Skydiver Liz: "Well he is a bloke, after all".


No comments:

Post a Comment